Due to the pandemic and the resulting global supply chain shortages (especially the shortage of…
Interested in shipping a car to the USA? There are a few things you need to know. While the restrictions and requirements may seem intimidating for first-time shippers, CFR staff is here to help make the process as painless as possible.
- Vehicle must be manufactured in the USA or be older than 25 years, unless it is being imported temporarily. If you are unsure of where the vehicle was manufactured, one of our shipping specialists can assist you. Please have the full VIN number of the car ready before you reach out to us
- Vehicles must comply with U.S. safety, bumper, and emissions standards
- Always check the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) websites for up-to-date regulations before shipping a vehicle to the USA
If the vehicle does not meet these requirements, you may still be able to import your vehicle, however the process may take significantly longer and could be a lot more costly.
Upon Arrival at USA Port of Entry:
Vehicles must be processed through U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) upon arrival. Documents needed include:
- Bill of Lading
- Bill of Sale
- Foreign Registration
- Any other documents covering the vehicle
- Completed EPA and DOT forms
An $800 CBP exemption can be applied to the value of your vehicle if:
- You are a returning U.S. resident (Returning from travel, work, or study abroad)
- The vehicle returns with you and is brought back for personal use
- Vehicle was acquired during the trip you are returning from
A duty rate of 3% will be applied to the next $1,000 of your vehicle after the $800 exemption has been applied. The remaining value of the vehicle receives the regular duty rate.